Advocates Board Chair Dr. James Lark shares the mission of the Advocates at the 2013 Students for Liberty conference:
Since 1985, the Advocates for Self-Government has worked to bring about a free society by empowering those who love liberty to become highly successful at taking the ideas of individual freedom and responsibility, free markets and peace to the world.
The Advocates for Self-Government’s focus is unique. Libertarians in many different organizations use our products, programs and services to make their own outreach and educational efforts more effective.
The Advocates for Self-Government has been working for the cause of liberty since 1985.
To attract and persuade people to embrace libertarian principles and to empower libertarians to be highly successful at presenting the ideas of liberty to the world.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Changing the dominant “Left-Right” political model — which excludes libertarians — to a more accurate and inclusive map like the one used by the World’s Smallest Political Quiz, thus literally putting libertarians on the map.
- Identifying large numbers of new libertarian-leaning people through our online World’s Smallest Political Quiz, our OPH kits, and other means, and introducing them to the ideas of liberty and the best ways to communicate those ideas to others.
- Training libertarian activists in proven, effective communications techniques that let them engage their fellow citizens and move the political debate toward freedom, opportunity and respect for others.
- Offering products to help libertarians rapidly grow their organizations by identifying and activating large numbers of potential libertarian activists.
- Educating new and prospective libertarians on the philosophy of freedom.
Advocates’ programs advance the entire Liberty Movement by:
- Exposing millions to libertarianism by replacing the old “Left-Right” political map with a more inclusive and accurate model such as the one used by our World’s Smallest Political Quiz.
- Creating new libertarians by presenting the freedom philosophy in an honest and persuasive way.
- Equipping libertarian activists with the tools and skills they need to successfully impact their communities through tools and training.
- The Advocates combines years of activism experience with the newest advances in technology, psychology, and communications to expose millions to the ideas of liberty and equip the Liberty Movement with the tools to change the world.
We believe liberty is the best way to achieve peace and prosperity. And the best way to achieve liberty is by effectively communicating the ideas of entrepreneurship, limited government, civil liberties and individual responsibility to the public.