The Advocates for Self-Government is pleased to announce that on October 20 the online World’s Smallest Political Quiz reached a new milestone.
The Quiz has now been taken more than 20 MILLION TIMES since the Advocates put it on the Web in 1995.
The World’s Smallest Political Quiz has become an Internet legend – the world’s first, and by far most popular, Internet political quiz.
Created by the Advocates in 1987, the World’s Smallest Political Quiz has taken the idea of libertarianism as a legitimate and distinctive part of America’s political spectrum to tens of millions of Americans.
The Advocates, a national libertarian educational organization, has also distributed over 20 million Quiz cards. Millions more people have encountered the Quiz in classrooms, newspapers, books, on talk radio, at Facebook, at Operation Politically Homeless (OPH) libertarian outreach booths, and elsewhere.
“This success is fantastic news for libertarians,” said Advocates President Sharon Harris. “because the Quiz is arguably the most effective tool for libertarian understanding and outreach ever invented.”
When people take the Quiz:
- They learn that libertarianism is a major part of the American political spectrum – that there is more to politics than just left versus right.
- They see the differences between libertarianism and other political ideologies.They get insights into their own political views, and they think about some of today’s most important – but too-often ignored – political issues.
- They learn that, on many key issues, libertarians are their allies, even if they consider themselves liberals or conservatives or centrists.
- A large percentage of Quiz takers discover they are libertarians, or have more in common with libertarianism than any other political philosophy.
- At the Advocates website, Quiz takers are also given access to outstanding information about libertarian ideas. Their questions are answered. They are given the opportunity to become active in the libertarian movement.
- And they are offered tools and training to help them become ever more effective and successful in their libertarian outreach. When a Quiz take gives his or her name and address, requesting more information, that contact info is made available to other libertarian organizations for follow up.
As Ron Paul said in the Congressional Record: “The World’s Smallest Political Quiz is responsible for many Americans’ first contact with libertarian ideas. While traveling around the country, I have often heard people say, ‘I never knew I was a libertarian until I took the Quiz!'”
The Quiz was created by Advocates Founder Marshall Fritz, based around a revolutionary multi-spectrum political chart created by David F. Nolan (a co-founder of the Libertarian Party). Fritz added ten short questions and a graph to Nolan chart. The questions and graph allowed people to quickly plot their place on the political spectrum, as well as giving other political insights.
Sharon Harris notes that the amazing success of the Quiz is no accident. The Advocates has spent many years developing and refining the Quiz.
“From the beginning, Marshall insisted that the Quiz be not just fast and fun, but above all honest and accurate – giving reliable and useful insights to those who take it,” Harris says.
The result: a tool so reliable that non-libertarian educators, journalists and others can – and do – use it and recommend it.
During the past decade, the Quiz has been featured in some of America’s best-selling college and high school textbooks or their supplementary material.
In addition, the Advocates has supplied educators, at their request, with over 40,000 card Quizzes for their classrooms. Today, thousands of college and high school students study the Quiz – in their classrooms.
Furthermore, the Advocates has promoted it extensively for many years to thousands of journalists, educators, national and local office holders, political activists, and other opinion leaders. And the Advocates has supplied nearly one thousand libertarian student groups across America, at their request, with OPH kits, which feature the Quiz.
This is tangible, real-world outreach success. And it is making a real difference.
The success of the Quiz is great news for the entire liberty movement. The Quiz is discovering and educating the libertarian leaders, activists and supporters of tomorrow.
“I want to thank everyone who has ever sent an email about the Quiz, linked to it, or otherwise helped take the mind-opening Quiz to the public,” Harris said. “Keep on spreading the word, link to the Quiz – and help us reach the NEXT 20 million Quiz takers. Thank you!”