Advocates for Self-Government President Sharon Harris and other communication experts provide tips, tools and training which will empower you to successfully spread the ideas of liberty with confidence.
The World’s Smallest Political Quiz is a fast, fun and accurate assessment of a person’s overall political views. The Quiz presents a new political map that is far more accurate than the old “Left versus Right” line, based on ten questions on specific political issues to find your place.
Keep up with what the Advocates for Self-Government is doing to advance the cause of liberty. Learn about the best libertarian resources, the liberty movement, successful libertarian outreach, upcoming training and other events — and more.
Join the tens of thousands of individuals who read our popular email newsletter. Get Intellectual Ammunition; amazing quotes; learn communication tips from libertarian experts — and more! Subscribe Now!
In Their Own Words
- My friend and I drove here [to Atlanta] from Oklahoma City and I’m really glad we did…. Some would look on it as kind of crazy for us to come this far for this event, but there’s nothing else nearly as important as the question of freedom and liberty for all people everywhere… I closed my music store in Oklahoma for the week to be here, and I feel it was more than worth the loss of revenue. You all did a wonderful job. Very inspiring.
- Thank you very much for presenting the Advocate’s program on Libertarian Persuasion last weekend. I enjoyed it greatly and learned much from it. I’ve also heard positive comments from its attendees… The Advocates method of libertarian persuasion is positive, thorough and structured – all things that lead to successful efforts to persuade and change policy and culture. Let’s plan more seminars for Indiana!
- Thanks for all the great insights and tools to help me become a better communicator for freedom. I feel this seminar has strengthened my weaknesses and will make my strong points even stronger. I’m running for office this fall and I feel that the people are thirsty for something new and exciting, and this seminar is a start of something good if not great for me to speak for the cause.
- Your seminar was inspiring and informative. You gave me specific tools that I can apply to my activism to grow the party, to incorporate into candidate platforms and tools that will help me to continue to fine tune my responses to questions that are asked of me. I will attend another of your seminars, and I will highly recommend it to friends. Thank you for your patience, your wit and for sharing your knowledge with the rest of us.
- The Quiz has proven to be invaluable in breaking the ice with people who otherwise wouldn’t give our booth a second glance. It opens the door to conversations about personal liberty.
- The World’s Smallest Political Quiz is a great ice breaker, making it a great way for someone that may not be very outgoing to start a conversation about liberty.
- The way that The Advocates for Self-Government talk about liberty and teach others to do so shows an intense passion for it. Programs like the “Libertarian Dozen” and other quality training give activists, candidates for office, and elected officials a great base from which to speak about and share the beauties of self-government.
- The presentation at the Marietta seminar was wonderful! Sharon always teaches her communications workshops in a way that anyone can understand, and everyone can take something useful away from them!”
- David Cureton, Oklahoma City, OK
- Mark W. Rutherford, Former Chair, Libertarian Party of Indiana
- Bill Kochezar, McDonough, GA
- Dawn Beene, Stockbridge, GA
- Doug Harman, Former Chair, Libertarian Party of Georgia
- Doug Craig, Chairman, Libertarian Party of Georgia
- Brett Bittner, Former Marietta City School Board Member
- Jordan Collis, Vice President, Young Americans for Liberty at Georgia State University
From Our Facebook Page
August 21, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Big Government gets BIGGER in Venezuela, as grocery shoppers at state-run stores will be fingerprinted to keep price controls in place, prevent hoarding, and to keep food from being resold on the black market.
Aren't free markets more efficient?
Struggling to keep food on the shelves, Venezuela has been rolling out a series of economic measures including a new currency exchange and a plan to register the fingerprints of those who shop at state-run stores.
August 21, 2014 at 10:13 am
Are you telling the truth?
August 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm
August 20, 2014 at 2:50 pm
"If you care about your subject being understood and appreciated by a wide variety of people, teaching in K-12 schools may turn out more rewarding than teaching college."
Pamela Stubbart and Kevin Currie-Knight make the case for K-12 teaching, as opposed to academia.
August 20, 2014 at 10:34 am
Mark Twain may have quipped, "No man’s life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session," but it seems that regulators and their regulations know no sessions:
In a week like any other, new regulations hit the books for everything from tax delinquents to the electromagnetic spectrum.
August 19, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Big Government strikes again. As the turmoil in #Ferguson continues, the underlying issue remains an ever-growing, unrestrained government.
August 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm
"The relevant question is whether younger voters will support policies and elect leaders that enhance liberty in comparison to the status quo."
A Ron Paul utopia isn't in America's future. But the War on Drugs could be ended, mass surveillance stopped, civil rights abuses curtailed, and liberty expanded in dozens of smaller but important ways.
August 19, 2014 at 10:55 am
Are you a traitor, a libertine, or a scoundrel?
A truly free society would not assume that you are one.
H/T: Liberty.me for the image
August 18, 2014 at 10:25 pm
"So a living economy needs to 'create' inefficiencies, and lots of them, to set the stage for greater efficiency and ongoing innovation. And that’s just what the market process does all the time—thank goodness!"
Markets are well-known for their abilities to generate efficiencies. But the inefficiencies they reveal might be even more interesting.
August 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm
A self-interest leading to serving the needs of others is a win-win, right?
August 18, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Ron Paul in a recent interview : "I’ve often said that I think that we’re all born libertarians. And people ask me when did you become a libertarian? I said as long as I can remember. Except I went through many, many years of having it beaten out of me by the status quo."
In an interview with Rare, former presidential candidate Ron Paul talks about how libertarianism is a relatively universal philosophy.
August 18, 2014 at 9:39 am
Are you looking for better ways to achieve some of the things that government does?
HARRY BROWNE ON GOVERNMENT: "We shouldn’t be talking about what government should do or what we wish it could do. We should recognize what government can do. And government has proven that it makes a mess of virtually everything it touches. So whatever it is we may want government to do, we have to look for better ways to achieve it."
August 18, 2014 at 9:13 am
The Advocates for Self-Government commented on their own status.
August 17, 2014 at 6:10 pm
Are you a student who has pictures of your campus group using the The World's Smallest Political Quiz at an outreach event?
Would you like to get an autographed copy of Sharon Harris' upcoming book, "How To Be A Super Communicator For Liberty"?
Send us a message here on Facebook with your best outreach pictures, and if we choose it for use on our website, you'll receive that autographed copy of "How To Be A Super Communicator For Liberty".
August 17, 2014 at 1:42 pm
What do you do to preserve your freedom of speech?
August 16, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Thank our friends at Students For Liberty for these ideas for some upcoming events. Not all of them are campus-related, so you could get some ideas for your next liberty event.
August 15, 2014 at 7:25 pm
The song becomes creepier when you look at it this way...
August 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm
"School choice—a concept popularized by libertarians like Milton Friedman—is liberating students from the oppressive failures of traditional public schools by empowering parents to get their kids into classrooms with teachers who actually care."
Take that, Paul Krugman.
August 15, 2014 at 10:40 am
“The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” - George Orwell
August 14, 2014 at 10:10 pm
Is it any wonder that the blue and red teams' players are leaving in droves?
August 14, 2014 at 6:25 pm